The LASIK Procedure
Steps involved in LASIK:
1. Your eyelids will be cleaned.
2. Anesthetic drops are given to completely numb the eye for comfort and a lid holder is used to keep your eyelids open.
3. A protective flap is created in the cornea and is gently lifted by the surgeon. Because the corneal flap preserves the surface layer of the cornea, discomfort following LASIK is minimized.
4. Your surgeon uses information from your extensive testing to set a surgical plan that is programmed into the laser. The computer calculates the required treatment and directs the laser. Computer-controlled pulses of cool laser light are applied to the inner layers of your cornea. The inner corneal layer is reshaped with the laser to mimic your contact lens or glasses prescription.
5. The surgeon gently replaces the flap and aligns it to its original position. It heals naturally and securely.